Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS NEW DAWN?
A combined effort by (currently) 9 public film funds to support more diversity in the international film industry. New Dawn will operate as a production fund, by making additional funding available for film productions and by supporting film makers in setting up networks.
Its aim is to change the funding system from within, starting with productions that are currently developing with help from the participating funds.
WHY NEW DAWN?
New Dawn’s mission states that film makers shape the narrative of our time through their work, and that this has mostly been possible for too narrow a scope of film makers.
New Dawn wants to explore more ways to establish variety and representation. We believe a vibrant, open and inclusive film industry with true diversity of perspectives has relevance for everyone. And we want to have a go at this from the angle we know; from inside the existing structures.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
If you can answer yes to ALL of the following questions; you are.
- Are you a producer based in one of the participating countries?
- are you the legal representative for the company that is producing the project you want to apply with?
- is the writer and/or the director attached to the project from one of the participating countries?
- does the production have a runtime of more than 60 minutes?
- has the production been granted a selective production grant from a regional or national fund in one of the participating countries?
- is 50% of the financing for the production in place?
- is the production in development or preproduction, with a planned first day of shooting after September 4th 2022?
WHEN AM I NOT ELIGIBLE?
Your application will be rejected if
- you have to answer one of the above questions with ‘no’
- the application is incomplete
- the application is submitted after the deadline
HOW DO I APPLY?
Click here for more information.
WHAT IS A CONFIRMATION LETTER?
A written and signed statement by the representative from your country, stating that the project has received selective production support. Both having received support and having this confirmation letter are eligibility requirements.
HOW CAN I OBTAIN A CONFIRMATION LETTER REGARDING THE NATIONAL OR REGIONAL GRANT ?
Begin on time! First, download our template. Do not use any other document, only this will be accepted as a confirmation letter. Second, find your local representative. Send them an email in which you ask them to fill out and sign the form.
WHAT IS REQUIRED FROM A MOTIVATION LETTER?
The motivation letter, a joint statement from the producer, writer and director, is where your team explains how New Dawn resonates with you & the production. This letter is an integral part of the application. So the requirements are: you must write one. It must be from all three team members. It must acknowledge New Dawn’s mission. It cannot be more than 5 pages. If it is longer than 5 pages we will not read the end.
WHEN ARE THE RESULTS MADE PUBLIC?
The first selection will be announced in the fall of 2022. We will keep you posted via this website.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I AM SELECTED?
You will receive an email. You will also receive an email if you are not selected.
WHO SELECTS THE PROJECTS?
Click here for an overview of our committee members.
WHO IS THE REPRESENTATIVE FOR MY COUNTRY ?
Click here for the list of representatives.
WHAT IF THERE IS NO REPRESENTATIVE IN MY COUNTRY?
If your country is not on the list of representatives we regret to inform you that it is currently not possible for you to apply. We hope your country joins New Dawn soon.